Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Sharing is Caring

Gentle readers,
I really do believe that it is our obligation as human beings to entertain each other.

Here are some new things I will share with you today:
1. Heartbreak / Dancing Soul playlist. I made this playlist in 2005 and found it recently. I was in the midst of heartbreak, and was trying to create an "Ultimate Heartbreak Mixxx" of the saddest possible songs. This was my side project, just other songs. It is much better, and much more heartbreaking because it wasn't trying to be. Download

2. Andy Rooney podcasts. Ever since I realized that the two poles of my personality were Carrie Bradshaw and Andy Rooney, I've grown much fonder of his crankiness. These 2 minute gems are much more entertaining without the visuals. Listen as Andy dissects the uselessness of kitchen gadgets, self-help books, and baseball.

3. Finally, The Supremes' "I'm Living in Shame" (download) is a really sad song about a daughter who is ashamed of her poor mother, and eventually goes off to college and pretends that her mother had died so that her uptown friends will never see her. It talks about upward class mobility in the most tragic way possible. This song bears some resemblance to Alice Walker's "Everyday Use," a short story that is quite good and that I try to keep in the back of my mind as much as possible. Read it here.

No comments: