Monday, June 16, 2008

Stop smoking forever, day 2

I read on some internet somewhere that I may have crazy crazy dreams as a result of either the nicotine patch or not using a nicotine patch and just cold turkey-ing it. These dreams may be extremely vivid. I may feel as though cigarette smoke is entering my lungs. Apparently, I may wake up wanting a cigarette in a pool of cold sweat or something along those lines. I am sad to report I have not had any crazier-than-usual dreams, but I look forward to them coming, prophetically. I imagine the floating into the carpet scene from Trainspotting and maybe hope my dream will be like that.

Day 2 of stop smoking was better than Day 1. I didn't feel too sad or overly anxious or freaked out today, only like something was missing. That "missing" feeling is along the lines of, isn't there somewhere I'm supposed to be going or doing right now? Outdoors, for my break? Then I would realize that I don't do that anymore, sigh on the inside, and get back to work. All in all, more ok than I expected. The plus side of using this ridiculous nicotine replacement stuff is that I tell myself that I will die of a nicotine overdose if I smoke a cigarette because of the patch. Whether or not this is true, I don't want to know. As long as I believe it, this theory is an adequate deterrent.

On the positive side, I don't know if today was particularly fragrant, but it definitely smelled better than usual. This may be some sort of placebo effect. One of the non-smoker things that I am looking forward to most is the return of strong smells and tastes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seriously, no joke. Don't do it. Overdose symptoms may include nausea; vomiting; diarrhea; stomach pain; cold sweat; headache; dizziness; problems with hearing or vision; confusion; uneven heartbeats; chest pain; seizures; and death. Holly I so applaud you.