Thursday, February 28, 2008

Afterlife

My special day has finally come. Exactly 13 months ago, I followed my heart to a short and tumultuous career in magazines. Tomorrow, with the same level of excitement and dedication, I am ending my Midtown tenure for the greener pastures of Brooklyn.

Some stats on the year I spent shoulder to shoulder with the media elite:
Number of magazines worked for/with: 6
Number of magazines that folded during this year: 1
Number of reality shows filmed in office: 1
Estimated number of times I cried while in office: 13
Average number of people who need to be consulted to design one element of one page, such as a photo credit: 4
Cups of Flavia brand French Roast consumed: 325
Pounds gained: 15
Average number of days, weekly, spent feeling inadequate about the heel height of my shoes: 2-3
Number of pairs of shoes bought to remedy this situation: 4
Number of times I've actually worn these shoes, total: 7 (including twice, for 20 minutes, before changing into flats)
Ick factor of the tunnel between the G and E at Court Square in Long Island City, on a scale of 1 to 10: 6
Ick factor of the tunnel between 6th and 7th avenue on 14th street: 8
Ick factor of the tunnel between Port Authority and Times Square: 10
Rank of East Midtown, West Midtown, and Chinatown as most unpleasant workplace locations: 2, 1, 3
International corporate publishing headquarters visited: 4
Number of months worked before referring to my employer as "corporate media": 4
Estimated number of conversations I've engaged in about the elevator: 100
Number of times I've heard the phrase "Who are you wearing?" (not about me, obviously): 3
Ratio of time spent fearing I'd be fired to time spent wishing I'd quit: 1:4
Number of times I had to cancel my plans on a weeknight in order to work late before I stopped making them: 10
Number of times I had to cancel my plans on a Friday night in order to work late before I stopped making them: 6
Value of the feeling of seeing 4 people on one F train platform in Brooklyn engrossed in an issue I designed, heads buried in a cover I helped to create (and actually liked), on the day it came out: Priceless!

download:
One More Cup of Coffee

2 comments:

johnnn said...

congrats D! way to know when to walk away. while I wouldn't exactly call them 'fond' memories, I certainly remember the Flavia years and many, many cups of French Roast and whatever the other level-5 strength coffee was - it was silver... I raise a cup of fresh, home-brewed coffee to you!

editor said...

i have sent five emails to corporate affairs asking for an explanation as to how flavia is in line with our company's green initiative. i have not heard back yet. it's been 3 months. i have started collecting the packets and hope to have enough for a sculptural rendering of flavia soon. oh, and congrats on getting out while you still had a soul left!